About the Soldier Hollow Sheepdog Classic
Watching world-class sheep dogs at work will take your breath away – but that’s just the beginning at the Soldier Hollow Classic Sheepdog Championship! Since 2003, the Soldier Hollow Classic Sheepdog Championship has been an exciting showcase of the human-canine bond – luring thousands of spectators annually to Midway to catch these dogs and handlers in action.
Competition & Festival Suspended for 2020
Over the past several months, the organizing committee has looked at every possible way to host this 18th year of the event safely and successfully. We are saddened to have to reach the decision today to cancel the 2020 event – both the competition and festival. We are already planning for next year! We will come back stronger and with a solid plan for ensuring the continuation of the event next year and beyond. We thank you all for your continued support of The Soldier Hollow Classic Sheepdog Championships & Festival, presented by Your Utah Toyota Dealers Association, and we wish you and yours all the best of health.
We’ll see you next year – Happy Trails!
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I bring my dog to the Soldier Hollow Classic? Answer: No. While this is an event for dog lovers, spectators’ dogs are not allowed. An escaped dog or even just an errant bark at the wrong moment could ruin a run. You can bring your dog if it is competing in the DockDogs competition. DockDogs are not allowed in the area behind the sheepdog spectator bleachers, sheepdog bleachers or sheepdog competition areas. Additionally the following dogs are welcomed at Soldier Hollow: Seeing eye dogs, service dogs and dogs involved in official event demonstrations or performances.
- Can I bring food to the event? Answer: The Soldier Hollow Classic offers delicious food at moderate prices and we encourage you to support our food and beverage vendors.
- Can I bring alcohol to the event? Answer: No. No outside alcohol is permitted at the event. There is a beer garden at event and it will be open daily from 11 am to 4 pm.
- Can I bring my own chair to the event? Answer: Yes. While the Soldier Hollow Classic offers bleacher seating, we also encourage you to bring your own chairs. There are areas suitable for normal lawn chairs, and some for low rise chairs or just a blanket on the ground.
- Can I bring a canopy to the event? Answer: Yes. There is an area with an excellent view on the west side of the competition that is being reserved for those who want to bring a canopy (up to 12 by 12 feet). Canopies will not be allowed in the main seating area of the event.
- Is there parking available? Answer: Yes. Parking will cost $5. Cash and cards are accepted.
- How do I get tickets? Answer: Tickets are readily available at the door or can be purchased in June online at this site. Your best ticket value is to purchase early on our website, after that tickets are full price at the door.
- What about wheelchair access and access for the elderly? Answer: All activities are on a single level and nearly all may be accessed by paved pathways (everything may be accessed by flat pathway). We also have prime sheepdog competition viewing areas that are paved and flat that are reserved for those in wheelchairs to view the event from (available on a first come, first serve basis)
- Other Suggestions: Bring sunscreen and protection (hats, umbrellas etc.). Binoculars can also bring greater detail to the hillside part of the competition. Come early! It will ensure a good seat and often the best runs are early in the day. Even if you plan to use the bleachers you might throw lawn chairs in the trunk. Often people see that viewing area and wish they had brought them (you can return to your car and be readmitted, just be sure to get your hand stamped when you do.)
- How do I become a product vendor at the Soldier Hollow Classic? Answer: Last year about 30,000 people attended the Soldier Hollow Classic over four days. Each represents an opportunity to display and sell your products in our vendor court. We have many vendors who return year after year because the weekend is both profitable and fun! What we can promise is that we will do our part by putting on a great show and designing the event to encourage customer traffic past your booth.